Monday, June 13, 2011

Healthy or Unhealthy? Whole wheat cookies

My sister asked me for a request the other week.  PLEASE STEPH PLEASE BAKE ME SOME HEALTHY COOKIES!!!!!!!!  Ok, maybe not so dramatic but it got to me.  For the past year, we have all gotten fat off of my cooking, yes my cooking.  I've been baking like crazy and making cakes as well.  Demented Betty Crocker anyone?  So, we've cut back to TRY to be healthy.  I've only cooked in olive oil, added no salt or less salt to my stuff and bought low fat everything.  
This is my recipe to try to marry buttery shortbread with not so fat cookies.  It turned out pretty well too.  It's a good base for many platforms like snickerdoodles, or chocolate chips, etc.  It's a tea cookie though.  That means it will be dry.  So drink some no sugar green tea or black tea or soymilk or lowfat milk.  it will be pretty good but I found it a little fibery because of the whole wheat.  I'm thinking of maybe pulsing it in the food processor and sifting it fine to make it smoother next time.  

Enjoy!!!!!

Whole Wheat Shortbread Cookies
Serves: 36

1 1/2 c. margarine, softened
½ c. butter flavored shortening
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. ground walnuts
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 ¼ c. white sugar
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract

Directions
1. Sift flours and cornstarch together into a bowl.
2. Place margarine, shortening, and sugar into a large bowl and beat until whipped and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla extract and mix.
4. Add flour and ground nut mix slowly to margarine until everything is combined. 
5. Place in wax paper or plastic wrap and roll until you get a log shape.
6. Chill for at least 1 hour before cutting cookies.
7. Cut cookies ½ in to 1 in. in thickness and place in sheet pan with parchment paper. 
8. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes.


This is what it looks like:  


F is for fiber!!

No comments:

Post a Comment